samba installed from scratch on fc9 doesn't work for me

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Aug 24 17:13:21 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 09:31 +0200, Massimo Maiurana wrote:
> hi all, I've just joined this list :)
>
> I'm facing a problem with a brand new installation on fedora 9.
> I did a system update right after the installation, so the samba
> packages are of the latest available version (3.2.0-17.fc9).
>
> at the first run, all the tree of tdb files were created under
> /var/lib/samba.
> now I try to create a new user:
> [root at barbara Scrivania]# smbpasswd -a barbara
> New SMB password:
> Retype new SMB password:
> Added user barbara.
>
> looks like the user was created, but in the log I can see a bunch of
> lines like this:
> lib/account_pol.c: account_policy_get(324) account_policy_get:
> tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field $n....
>
> ...where $n is a number between 1 and 10, so basically I get ten of
> those lines.
> every attempt to change user's password ends with this:
> [barbara at barbara ~]$ smbpasswd
> Old SMB password:
> New SMB password:
> Retype new SMB password:
> cli_pipe_validate_current_pdu: RPC fault code
> DCERPC_FAULT_OP_RNG_ERROR received from remote machine 127.0.0.1
> pipe \samr fnum 0x7672!
> machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : NT code
> 0x1c010002.
> Failed to change password for barbara
----
this does seem strange...

what do you get from command (as root)
pdbedit -Lv barbara
----

> also, if I try to connect to the server locally from the same
> machine this is what I get:
> [barbara at barbara ~]$ smbclient \\\\barbara\\Ufficio -U barbara
> Enter barbara's password:
> Domain=[BARBARA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.0-17.fc9]
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
----
try...
smbclient //barbara/Ufficio -U barbara
----
> it would look like the requested share is non-existent, but
> unfortunately it isn't so:
> [barbara at barbara ~]$ smbclient -L barbara
> Enter barbara's password:
> Domain=[BARBARA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.0-17.fc9]
>
>          Sharename       Type      Comment
>          ---------       ----      -------
>          Ufficio         Disk      Ufficio
>          IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server Version
> 3.2.0-17.fc9)
>          SCX-4x16_Series Printer   Samsung SCX-4x16 Series
> Domain=[BARBARA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.0-17.fc9]
>
>          Server               Comment
>          ---------            -------
>
>          Workgroup            Master
>          ---------            -------
>          GRECOELEVATORI       BARBARA
>
> and indeed the shared directory exists:
> [barbara at barbara ~]$ ls -l /home/barbara/Documenti
> totale 4
> drwxr-xr-x 28 barbara barbara 4096  1 ago 10:19 Ufficio
----
try executing this command (as root)
chmod g+w,g+s,o+w /home/barbara/Documenti -R

(since you are trying to make it public writable)
----

> in the same lan there is also a win98 client, and neither it is able
> to access to the public share. using "map to guest = Bad User" I'm
> able at least to access the printer but not the share.
> here is my smb.conf stripped from commented and empty lines:
> [global]
>          workgroup = grecoelevatori
>          server string = Samba Server Version %v
>          lanman auth = yes
>          client lanman auth = yes
>          ntlm auth = no
>          client ntlmv2 auth = no
>          map to guest = Bad User
>          log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>          max log size = 50
>          security = user
>          passdb backend = tdbsam
>          load printers = yes
>          cups options = raw
> [printers]
>          comment = All Printers
>          path = /var/spool/samba
>          browseable = no
>          guest ok = yes
>          writable = no
>          printable = yes
> [Ufficio]
>          comment = Ufficio
>          path = /home/barbara/Documenti/Ufficio
>          public = yes
>          writable = yes
>          printable = no
>          browseable = yes
>
> and here is what I see in the log when trying to access the public
> share, either from localhost and from the win98 client:
> [2008/08/20 15:56:44,  0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1152)
>    '/home/barbara/Documenti/Ufficio' does not exist or permission
> denied when connecting to [Ufficio] Error was Permission denied
----
I think my above comment should handle this
----

> bug in the fedora package? in this version of samba? in me :)?
>
> again, this does happens on an installation from scratch, do not
> really know if all is fine when there are a previous installation
> and an existing /var/lib/samba.
>
> thanks in advance, and sorry for my english.
----
your English was terrific - I think there are some bugs in samba-3.2.x
still but I don't know that you stumbled into any yet.

you might want to post output of

ls -l /var/lib/samba

Craig