pulseaudio, howto make it work?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Aug 24 17:15:52 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 13:08 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 24 August 2008, Craig White wrote:

> >as has already been pointed out - I don't think that there's much point
> >in going farther except to point out the thing that you don't seem to
> >get...unlike all other sound daemons, pulseaudio is userland and thus
> >upon udev to create the user permissions to the devices.
> >
> >Since you run GUI as root, you already have device permissions so I
> >never saw the logic of your trying to make userland daemons run as root
> >since you already hold the trump cards.
> >
> >Craig
>
> That isn't always true Craig, I have been denied permissions on several
> occasions.  It always surprised me at the time & I don't now recall a
> specific instance I can quote, but it has happened in the past and will no
> doubt occur at some point in the future. ATM, not thinking at my best, too
> tired, so there isn't a lot of use trying to stir my ancient memory into
> action today.  Needs another 3 or 4 hours of zz's.
----
there is 2 well known operating systems that function with 'super user'
GUI and those are Macintosh and Windows. Linux generally discourages
doing that.

If you are being denied access to devices as root (which certainly is
possible), it's likely that some other process already has control over
the device.

Craig