non-disclosure of infrastructure problem a management issue?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Sun Aug 24 17:30:00 UTC 2008

Anders Karlsson wrote:
> * Björn Persson <bjorn at rombobjörn.se> [20080823 18:57]:
>> Rahul Sundaram quoted Paul W. Frields:
> [snip]
>>> Disclosure at an inappropriate time gives people the mistaken impression
>>> one is not being truthful, when that's not the case.
>> The first announcement gave me the impression that there was a technical
>> problem, such as overloaded web servers or a crashed database or something.
>> In retrospect it's obvious that when that announcement was written they
>> already knew or at least suspected that there had been an intrusion. This
>> gives me the impression that Paul W. Frields was not being truthful. He lied
>> by telling half the truth.
>
> That is a pretty strong statement to make. Not telling everything does
> not equate lying - especially when what you are telling (or can tell)
> is true. And if all you have is an impression that he is not truthful,
> you conceed that you have no evidence to the contrary as well.
>
> I think you owe Paul Frields an apology.

It'll never happen, although I agree completely that it's due.

The nay-sayers and gloom-speakers on this list are *much* more
interested in bitching and moaning about how things have been handled
wrong and they've been treated badly than actually being good members of
the community.

It makes me sick when I see this spew, and I want to (virtually)
throttle these jackasses.

> [snip]
>
>>> As I stated in the announcement, I'll continue to provide information as
>>> it becomes available."
>> Did it really take a week before the information that the issue was related to
>> security became available?
>
> I think you ought to read the book "The Cuckoo's Egg" by Clifford
> Stoll. Once you have read it and understood it, feel free to comment
> again on the issue at hand here.

See, there's the thing - the ones who bitch the loudest are usually the
ones who understand the least.  To actually encourage them to remedy
their ignorance is just a waste of electrons.  They seem to be happy in
their wallow.

--
Thomas