pulseaudio, howto make it work?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 17:35:55 UTC 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> 'Scuse me, Craig, but WTH does console-kit have to do with pulseaudio?  In
>>> all the considerable ranting and raving that has gone on since F8 came out
>>> with this supposed "improvement", I don't recall console-kit ever being
>>> mentioned in the same context as pulseaudio.
>>>
>>> Please explain.
>> The explanation is there.....
>>
> Where?

You must have missed a lot - this was discussed to death when people
first had problems with pulseaudio.  Consolekit assumes that the
speakers are owned exclusively by whoever happens to be logged into the
console at the moment.  Personally I think this is as bad as if the tape
device were handled that way and your system backups would crash if the
wrong user happens to log in at the wrong time.  I almost never log in
directly at the console and what my speakers are playing shouldn't
depend on that.

I believe pulseaudio has a framework that can act as a suitable sound
server for a multiuser system or even network-stream access across
multiple systems, but the fedora configuration emulates a toy
single-user box instead.  The bug isn't so much with either pulseaudio
or consolekit specifically but with the choice to run pulseaudio in a
session rather than as a service. It just doesn't work for scenarios
where you don't dedicate the whole box to being someone's personal device.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com