multibooting ppc with Mac OS 9 & X on an ancient iBook

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Aug 26 03:12:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 15:24 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> (Giving a little more detail:)
>
> On Aug 23, 2008, at 12:07 PM, Craig White wrote:

> Actually, I pre-partitioned the yaboot partition and the Linux big
> partition with the Mac OS X utility, as well. And the Mac OS 9 utility.
----
I had hoped that someone with experience with multi-boot on Macintosh
would have piped in because I lack this experience myself but I got the
impression that the Fedora installer created the yaboot partition itself
but I may have just let it.

looking at a Mac with Fedora 8 installed, the anaconda-ks.cfg reports...
#clearpart --all --initlabel --drives=hda
#part appleboot --fstype "Apple Bootstrap" --size=1 --ondisk=hda
#part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100 --ondisk=hda
#part / --fstype ext3 --size=1 --grow --ondisk=hda
#part swap --size=256 --grow --maxsize=512 --ondisk=hda

So evidently, I must have allowed the druid to create the partitions but
note that anaconda on a ppc permits an fstype of 'Apple Bootstrap' so
yeah, if you are gonna install multi-boot, you gotta have 1 mb partition
designated for it.

this may be useful (apparently you can't use fdisk on an Apple system)
# parted -l
Model: Maxtor 6Y080L0 (ide)
Disk /dev/hda: 82.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: mac

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name      Flags
 1      512B    32.8kB  32.3kB               Apple
 2      32.8kB  1081kB  1049kB  hfs          untitled  boot
 3      1081kB  106MB   105MB   ext3         untitled
 4      106MB   641MB   535MB   linux-swap   swap      swap
 5      641MB   82.0GB  81.3GB  ext3         untitled

obviously the yaboot partition is #2
----
> > ----
> > I haven't done multi-boot Mac's but I have done a bunch of
> > different Mac
> > setups. I'm not really a fan of multi-boot on any hardware choice.
>
> Different requirements. I need to take time out to learn how to
> program for ODF and PDF, so I can build programs that will do some
> things I presently use AppleWorks documents to accomplish. Until
> then, I need to be able to do a lot of work in the Mac OS.
----
Appleworks is a black hole...it's virtually impossible to get documents
out of Appleworks unless you are willing to open each one individually,
save it as the Microsoft equivalent which is a time hog.

OOo has a terrific set of tools for document creation...I think it puts
Appleworks to shame.
----
> Anyway, if there is an openfirmware incantation that I can use
> instead of installing yaboot, I could try that the next time I have
> time to work on this.
----
I don't think so (on ppc...this is all you get) - OFI is for the Intel
based Macs
----
> Hate to be noisy, but I sure appreciate any pointers I can get.
----
you probably got the best I had to offer - I actually made a clean
install of OS 9.1 that I then made into a dmg file with 'Disk Utility'
so I could just dump a full OS 9 setup onto any computer running OSX so
it would work in Classic Mode or reboot to OS 9 if I chose it in
'Startup Disk' (it's just under 300 mb).

Craig