Nvidia driver

Per Anton Rønning pa-ronn at online.no
Tue Aug 26 10:04:12 UTC 2008

Dave Burns wrote:
> Also note that nvidia either ignores or screws up settings set with
> the display panel after the real drivers are installed. I forget the
> name of the config utility that gets installed with the rpms at the
> moment, but look at rpm -q --filesbypkg, you should be able to figure
> it out.
> Dave

In Applications > System Tool > nVidia Display Settings I am now
referred to nvidia-xconfig.
"You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X
configuration file (just run nvidia-xconfig as root) and restart the
X-server.

I also discovered that I now have 2 screen resolutions: 640x480 & 800
x600, but my LCD can take more than that.  So there is an improvement
after following the installation advices.

There are now a couple of Nvidia options in the hardware part of
System > Administration > Display but I was thrown out of X using one of
them, so I have dropped that so far something is obviously missing.

Then: nvidia-config is quite elusive. It does not execute on my computer
(under root)
I dont find it in Add/Remove software, yum search does not help much,
nor does

rpm -q --filesbypkg  so where could it be?

Brgds
PAR