OT: pci express 1x card in a 16x slot

Joseph L. Casale JCasale at activenetwerx.com
Tue Aug 26 18:53:31 UTC 2008

>In theory, yes.  The catch is that boards with integrated graphics will
>sometimes treat their x16 slot specially.  I have a board with integrated
>graphics that will only run the x16 slot at x1, even if you have an x4 or x8
>card installed

In addition to what Chris states, many boards with single 16 lane slots and IG
that may have some narrow lane slots can only handle graphics cards in the x16
slot. Intel boards are typically like this. You shove something else in the 16
lane slot like a big nic, or raid card and she don't work :(

jlc