Konqueror in SU mode

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 27 10:49:33 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 23:21:52 Jim wrote:
> Dave Feustel wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 03:50:52PM -0400, Jim wrote:
> >> FC9, Kde-4.1
> >> How do I run Konqueror as Super User.
> >
> > This is a Very Bad Idea. KDE and Konqueror have security holes.
> > I write this as one who prefers Konqueror to all other browsers
> > and KDE to any other desktop I've tried.
> > .
Details?  I haven't heard of this, and would be surprised if any security
flaws had not been dealt with in the usual way.

> > If you need to run a browser as root, log in on a virtual console
> > and run lynx.
> >
> >> It is very different to run konquerorSU in KDE-4.1 than KDE 3.5.
> >> If I open SU in Console and then try to run /usr/bin/konqueror, it won't
> >> run.
>
> I don't want to run Konqueror as a SU browser, I want run Konqueror as a
> SU Filemanager.

It must be in the kickstart menu somewhere, but it's well hidden.  I have it
on the Favorites page, so I must have found it, but I can't say where.
Mandriva put it under Tools > System Tools - maybe I'm just not seeing it in
Fedora?  Anyway, if you can't find it, the other way is to launch it from a
root konsole - nothing special needed that way.

Anne