NFS info

Dan Track dan.track at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 16:42:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 4:14 AM, Joseph Loo <jloo at acm.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 15:44 +0100, Dan Track wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm getting a constant problem where when I boot up a server that is
>> moutning the /opt/logs dir from another server, the booting server
>> hangs when the nfs server doesn't repond. Could you please give me an
>> idea what options or setups I could use to get teh booting server to
>> boot up and not hang on the nfs mount section?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dan
>>
> I use the soft,intr options on my nfs mounts.
> To me the best way is not to mount the directory unless you need to. I
> use autofs to do the mounts for me. That way, when I need to mount the
> nfs directory, it will automatically mount and unmount the directory.
> This works whenever I reference the directory, e.g., ls /opt/log. this
> will cause a mount. I also have a 60 second timeout, so that if I do not
> use the mount, it will unmount the directory automatically.
> --
> Joseph Loo
> jloo at acm.org

Hi

Thanks for the info. I agree with the fact that source of the problem
should be addressed, it's just that the nfs share isn't critical while
the applications running on the server are, so from a worse case
scenario we just want the server up even if we can't get the nfs
shares mounted.

As a point, could you let me know why we can't mount a critical path
e.g /usr/local/lib using autofs? Wouldn't any request e.g from a
script or from cron or any other process cause the path to be mounted?
Is there any problesm with this approach?

Thanks
Dan