samba installed from scratch on fc9 doesn't work for me

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Aug 27 17:16:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 17:38 +0200, Massimo Maiurana wrote:
> Massimo Maiurana, il 26/08/2008 19:20, scrisse:
>
> > I even tried with secutity share, and this way I'm able to access the
> > share, but only with barbara's password.
>
> even more odd: today I can't access the share neither with
> security=share and supplying the password, it returns
> NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME O_o
>
> but maybe I know where this problem could be: yesterday I was unable
> to boot the machine, looked like it was booting but instead of
> getting the splash screen the lcd display turned to power saving
> mode so I didn't see nothing. this was with the kernel installed
> with the update, 2.6.25.14-108. after 3 attempt I tried booting the
> plain 2.6.25.14 kernel and all went fine, and smbclient "worked"
> with security=share.
> today 2.6.25.14-108 booted at first attempt, but smbclient stopped
> working even with security=share.
>
> now for some days I can't access that machine because I'm leaving
> for holydays, will see when I'll come back.
>
> > I can't even see win98's share from fedora, nor I can mount it with
> > "mount -t cifs //greco/Ufficio2 /mnt/win98"; it says "mount error 112 =
> > Host is down", but the share name is indeed //greco/Ufficio2, and
> > "smbclient -L greco" confirms it.
>
> I found in the web that maybe win98 doesn't support cifs filesystem,
> a lot of people has the same problem as me.
> these people is however able to mount a win98 share with "-t smbfs",
> but unfortunately looks like the fedora kernel has no support for
> smbfs ("unknown filesystem type").
> is there any way I could get smbfs support to be able to at least
> mount the win98 share?
----
I don't believe so...smbfs was a kernel module that has been removed and
I don't know if the module source even exists in the current kernels as
it has been unmaintained for a long time.

Samba developers replaced it with cifs. I think that Fedora 7 was the
last Fedora to offer smbfs mounts.

smbclient though does seem to use the old protocols.

I tend to discourage the use of 'security = share' (see my other e-mail)
but it's your network.

Now, my suggestion would probably be to stay with the Linux system until
you get things working right there and for that, you can simply stay
with smbclient...

smbclient -L //BARBARA -U barbara # until you can login
smbclient -L //BARBARA # to make sure anonymous user can access
smbclient //BARBARA/Ufficio -U barbara # to make sure barbara can access
smbclient //BARBARA/Ufficio -U nobody # to make sure anonymous can
access

As for the days of using Windows 98 as a file server...they are probably
over though you can use smbclient to access...it's ugly.

Craig