samba installed from scratch on fc9 doesn't work for me

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 19:16:21 UTC 2008

Massimo Maiurana wrote:
> I did it, but nothing had changed.
> however maybe domain and workgroup are not the same thing, because also
> on my home pc (which runs a samba server) domain is set to the name of
> the host.

That might be a bad idea – I think Windows likes different names for
different things, and I believe it complains if you try setting the
domain or workgroup name identically to a PC name.

Try having one domain name (on Samba) = workgroup name (on Windows)
across all your computers, but different names for each computer.

Can you ping the Fedora server by name from the Windows 98 computer?

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | That brought a lump to the eye and a tear to the throat.
aprilcottage.co.uk |     -- "I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue", BBC Radio 4