Encryption for NTFS in Linux

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 21:18:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 15:58 -0400, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a laptop with dual boot with one NTFS partition so that both Windows
> and Linux can read/write to it. I use ntfs-3g to mount the partition with
> Fedora 8.
> Is there any way to have encryption on that NTFS partition that works for both
> Windows and Fedora 8 ? My main concern is protecting the data in case the
> laptop gets stolen, etc.
> I did some Google searches but haven't come up with any real lead yet.

You can't have looked very hard.
http://www.ntfs-3g.org/support.html#questions says:

        "NTFS supports built-in, transparent compression and encryption
        of files and directories on the file system level. Reading
        transparently compressed files are supported but writing of
        compressed and encrypted files is denied."

poc