The Scope and Ownership of fedora-list

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 20:35:50 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>  That's slightly less important in f9 than it used to
>> be but there are still plenty of things that won't work with openjdk.
>
> True but OpenJDK in Fedora 9 is 100% certified Java
>
> http://developer.redhatmagazine.com/2008/07/08/java-in-fedora-first/
>
> You have argued before that, that the problems are due to the lack of
> "official java" moniker and that has never really been the case.  The
> problems are either non-standard features used by Java applications or
> things not covered by the specification.

But that doesn't matter.  Things work or not.  And without a real Sun
Java which could have been trivial to obtain/install, many things don't
work.  And instead of providing the trivial help to install a working
java, someone must have spent an enormous amount of effort providing
something sort-of-like java, ignoring the fact that it won't run
everything that a user will need it to run.  I'm sure it was an
interesting project, but releasing it to end users in that state was
just counterproductive regardless of your
business/political/philosophical agenda for doing it. Going forward, now
that Sun has removed any possible objection you could have to shipping
their code, I expect this problem to just go away on its own but
historically it has been a horrible user experience without any real
justification.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com