Am I a Bonehead or what? (# rm /dev)

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 29 01:02:25 UTC 2008

Mike McCarty wrote:

[deleted /dev]

> Well, I boot a rescue disc, and copy off what was the original
> real / onto another disc, and then start to ponder. I need help!

[...]

> # cd /media/hda5
> # mv dev dev_save
> # rsync -a /dev .
> # shutdown -r now
>
> System now boots and runs. Mailer works fine.
>
> Phew! Dodged a bullet!
>
> Anything else I need to do?

I can't mount my external USB drive. My fstab entries are

/dev/sda1 /mnt/usb auto noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/sde1 /mnt/usb auto noauto,user,exec 0 0

Neither one of them will mount.

$ mount /dev/sda1
mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist

Same error for the other one. What am I missing?

You have found the bank of Larn.