Am I a Bonehead or what? (# rm /dev)

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 29 03:01:45 UTC 2008

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>>> What version of Fedora? With any version with udev, there is the
>>
>> No, no udev. This is FC2.
>
> do the following:
>
> rpm -qf /dev

Ok, I got the RPM for /dev and forced the install.
As it was running, my printer came to life and printed
out a previously queued page. Ok.

I can now also mount my external USB hard disc.

I did the same for MAKEDEV.

MAKEDEV is apparently not to be run by hand, as it only
creates one device. The soft link created before was
apparently as a result of the LiveCD having only the one
copy, so I don't expect anything in /sbin, I guess.

Ok, reboot to let MAKEDEV be run, and the microcode
installs fine.

My system seems to be back to "normal".

Thanks very much!

This is definitely one of those "keep a record of how to recover
from" events.

Again, Thank You Very Much for helping me recover from
boneheaded root activities.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.