Why does smbpasswd not work for some users?

Bob Latham bob.latham at castlehigh.plus.com
Fri Aug 29 09:04:43 UTC 2008

Hi Everyone,

Using Fedora8.

I find some users I create have no problem having their smb passwords
changed using smbpasswd. Others simply don't work and I get the error
message "Failed to modify password entry for user <whatever>".

What are the possible causes for this, and could you point me at a method
of fixing it please?

I remember from a fiddle I had with Linux some years ago that I used to
have to copy the OS user passwords to SMB passwords using a method like
this...

cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd

Is this procedure still required?

Thanks everyone for your help and patience. I know novices are a PITA.

Cheers,

Bob.