Grub how to boot F8/F9 -

bobgoodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Aug 31 15:55:24 UTC 2008

I recently installed F-9 using the Gnome LiveCD on a new hard drive.
When I opened the computer case there were only two SATA connectors on
the motherboard so I removed dev/sda and put the new drive in it's
place.  The drive removed contained only the original XP which I don't
use and the /boot file.  I chose the live cd to save bandwidth since I
am limited as to how much I can use via my satellite connection.  I then
obtained what I want via yum.

After the installation finished I found that grub did not offer the F-8
Linux on the dev/sdb as an option.  It just wasn't there.  I had assumed
the installation would pick it up but didn't.  Now a new /boot is on the
new drive.

I the bought an SATA card and installed it with the original drive
[/dev/sdc Windows XP and /boot] to it.  I thought I might be able to
maniputlate the bios settings to control the boot situation at least
experimentally as a first step but no, when I go to bios-setup it only
shows two SATA drives with the third drive, the one on the added card,
as just being there with some identifying information but there's no way
I have found to boot from it short of swapping cables between the drives.

I can manipulate things from the command line well enough to copy files.
[mount  /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 /mnt] makes the files available
under /mnt but ideally I would like to be able to boot from one or the
other, /dev/sda or /dev/sdc as it stands now.  I've looked for
information on grub configuration but none of it is very clear to me.
What would help would be a how to with a few examples of typical grub
configuration files for a multi-boot system.

I guess I'm in over my head.  Any suggestions pointing me in the right
direction will be appreciated.

Bob