eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 19:35:29 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson
<mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>> When I try to open the DVD burner tray with the command eject, I get
>> the following problem:
>>
>> $ eject
>> eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'
>> $
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
> Missing the /dev/cdrom symlink. Depending on hardware changes, you
> may only have /dev/cdrom0 and /dev/cdrom1, but no /dev/cdrom.

Thanks, Mikkel, but

$ eject /dev/cdrom0
eject: unable to find or open device for: `/dev/cdrom0'
$ eject /dev/cdrom1
eject: unable to find or open device for: `/dev/cdrom1'
$ eject /dev/cdrom2
eject: unable to find or open device for: `/dev/cdrom2'
$

Any further ideas?

Paul