cifs WinXP problem

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Aug 31 22:32:46 UTC 2008

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 20:47:30 +0000, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 11:16:29 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>> Dumb question - is abdc30 in /etc/host, /etc/samba/lmhosts, or
>>> resolvable in some other way?
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>> [...]
>>
>> It is defined in /etc/hosts .
>>
>> Mike.
>
> Googing around, I saw a suggestion to try putting the actual
> ip address in place of abcd10 .  It solved the problem.  This is
> most peculiar.  It suggests /etc/hosts is not read.  However,
> for the Win2k box, abcd30, hosts is read???  There is more to
> this than meets the eye.  But it is working.
>
> Mike.

This is the way it is supposed to be:

The default order is lmhosts, host, wins, bcast and without any
entry in the smb.conf file the name resolution methods will be
attempted in this order.

Did you double check that the IP address is correct? I don't
remember if you could "ping abcd10". I guess it is possible that
abcd30 is in lmhosts, and abcd10 is not, and it is only checking
lmhosts. Just a shot in the dark - then again, I have made typos
more then once when doing this.

Mikkel