Fedora 9 Freeze At Login

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Aug 31 22:59:27 UTC 2008

Kyle Lanigan wrote:

>>> So I've put in Fedora 9 just the other day, but it doesn't matter
>>> when
>>> I login into Fedora 9 after booting up into it, that everything
>>> freezes once the login screen goes away after entering my username
>>> and
>>> password. I'm not sure what I'm suppose to do to get this working.
>>
>> How long do you wait?
>> I find a surprisingly long wait -
>> about 30 seconds - after logging in,
>> with very little disk activity until near the end.
>> I don't know what the computer is doing?
>>
>> But that doesn't sound like your problem.
>> Have you tried logging in in text mode?
>>

> Well last night around 8pm I logged in, it froze and I left it until
> about 12:30 this afternoon and it made no progress sadly.
> Text mode log in is when I access the DOS style terminal before login
> right?

When you say it froze, do you mean the cursor could not be moved?
In that case there is probably nothing can be done at that stage.

Earlier you might have been able to enter text mode by Ctrl-Alt-F1,
or alternatively by using something like Knoppix to edit /etc/inittab
and change id:5 to id:3 .
Or you could enter grub interactively, and add text to the kernel command.
(That is not really a sufficient description.)

If this happened to me, I would probably try one of the Fedora Live CDs
to see if they have the same problem.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net