eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 23:19:37 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 11:35 PM, Nataraj <incoming-fedora-list at rjl.com> wrote:

>> > /dev/sr0
>> > /dev/sr1
>>
>> No progress:
>>
>> $ eject /dev/sr0
>> eject: unable to find or open device for: `/dev/sr0'
>> $ eject /dev/sr1
>> eject: unable to find or open device for: `/dev/sr1'
>> $
>>
>> Paul
>
> Check /var/log/messages or run /bin/dmesg right after booting. If you
> have a recent standard kernel, it should detect the cdrom drive and load
> a driver for it.
>
> Mine looks like this:
> Aug 31 11:03:16 whitewave kernel: scsi 5:0:0:0: CD-ROM            PLEXTOR  DVDR   PX-712A   1.03 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
> Aug 31 11:03:17 whitewave kernel: sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 125x/125x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
> Aug 31 11:03:17 whitewave kernel: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
>
> There may be other unrelated lines between these lines in the messages
> file.  Once you've verified that the kernel sees your drive and is
> this:
>
> cd /dev
> ./MAKEDEV sr
>
> Then you can create a symlink to /dev/cdrom
> ln -s ./sr0 cdrom
>
> Unless your system is screwed up in some other way, my sense is that
> this should work.  Otherwise you can use mknod to create the device.

Thanks, Nataraj and Mikkel. I think the problem is not Linux specific.
My machine has also got MS Windows, and MS Windows cannot also detect
my burner. I suspect that the problem is caused by the fact that I did
recently a BIOS update.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8I945PL-G and my burner is an IDE one.

Any ideas?

Paul