eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Aug 31 23:55:13 UTC 2008

Paul Smith wrote:

> Thanks, Nataraj and Mikkel. I think the problem is not Linux specific.
> My machine has also got MS Windows, and MS Windows cannot also detect
> my burner. I suspect that the problem is caused by the fact that I did
> recently a BIOS update.
>
> My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8I945PL-G and my burner is an IDE one.
>
> Any ideas?

Does it show up in the BIOS? Is the drive jumpered properly? If it
was jumpered slave, or jumpered Cable Select and it was on the
center connector of a CS cable, the BIOS may not detect it with the
upgrade.

Also check that the BIOS didn't do something strange with the
upgrade like turning off the second IDE controller. SOmetie after an
update, you are better off resetting all the BIOS options, and then
resetting them to what you want/need.

Mikkel