Preupgrade on Fedora-7

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon Dec 1 02:21:04 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>
>> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>> I just resurrected an old computer running Fedora-7.
>>> I ran "yum update" and it successfully updated 420 packages,
>>> amounting to 850MB.
>>> But when I yum-installed preupgrade, and then ran preupgrade,
>>> I got the error:
>>> [tim at harriet yum.repos.d]$ sudo preupgrade
>>> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>
>> Are you running as root?  Does root have access to your X-server to open
>> windows?  (Is X11 even running?)  the "$" prompt indicates that you are
>> running as a user.
>
> Well, I did say "sudo preupgrade".
> Maybe that is not enough.
> And I was running X11.

Sorry, I read too fast and missed the sudo part.  B^{

ISTR that under some circumstances X11 doesn't like root connecting to
your server.  Check your xhost settings.  I was *very* happy when emacs
decided to simulate -nw when the X11 window failed to open between machines.

>> What does running "pre-upgrade-cli" do when run from a root account?
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
> I'm just running
> 	preupgrade-cli Rawhide
> and hundreds of packages are being listed for updating -
> an amazing mixture of fc7, fc10 and fc11 files.
> Total download size: 1.9GB.
> I can't believe this will work but I'll try it ...
> there are 1661 transactions being made ...

yeah, I had the same amount.  You will find some conflicts with RPM
versions and the like.  I downloaded over 1340 packages for my small
system before it died running the transaction.  It would've been better
if those dependencies had been caught before the download.

I tried Rawhide, F-9, and F-8.  All 3 had problems.  The F-8 one
surprised me as I would have thought that would have been the most
tested preupgrade....

I was running preupgrade-0.9.1.fc7 from updates-testing?

I couldn't install any newer versions due to installation dependencies
(ye olde chicken and the egg problem).

>> I tried this earlier (before F10 was released) and all attempts failed
>> due to conflicts.

How did your attempt turn out?

--
Kevin J. Cummings