FC11: Two Suggestions

homburg at tips-Q.com homburg at tips-Q.com
Tue Dec 2 21:40:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 15:14:59 -0600
"Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

> How is Sugar related to KDE though?

It's not. However, I SUSPECT that there might be more
people who want KDE-3.5 than Sugar. It's worth exploring.
It could be just me but I don't think so due to discussions
that I have seen on other forums. My impression is that
there is a fairly sizable group of 3.5x users who won't
change to 4.

> > Again, I am not knocking KDE4. However, it is a radical
> > departure from something that I have been using since
> > RH-9, possibly earlier.
>
> KDE 3.5 was fairly different than what was in RH-9 if I
> remember correctly.

Not really IIRC. Moreover, this is the first KDE release
since then without an upgrade path. New releases have added
features and horsepower but have been consistent in
approach.

> This is an attempt to protect the innocent and
> uninformed. The very people who shouldn't be logging in
> as root. Those who have enough information to make the
> decision for themselves generally can make the switch
> themselves as well.

That makes sense until you have a bunch of problems with a
new installation and need to figure out how to make the
edit to log into a UI as boot. It's not up to Fedora to
protect me from my own stupidity - that would be a losing
proposition from the outset ;-)

--
"Neither Lifestyle nor Agenda"
http://www.tips-Q.com