FC10 - What has replaced /etc/sysconfig/hwconf

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Dec 2 22:01:31 UTC 2008

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> I am coming from Centos 5.2 (got over a dozen systems here running
>>> it). This is my first Fedora Core install and I went right for Fedora
>>> Core 10, as I need the 2.6.27 kernel.
>>>
>>> So I am looking for the /etc/sysconfig/hwconf file that lists all the
>>> installed hardware, particularly things like the video card. There
>>> does not seem to be any hwconf file anywhere on the system. So what
>>> do I look for....
>>
>> /etc/sysconfig/hwconf is created and maintained by "kudzu". By default,
>> kudzu isn't installed in F9 or F10. You can "yum install kudzu" to
>> install it, then "kudzu -q" to build your file.
>
> Ah, no kudzu. I am so use to it always being there. Why would I not want
> it? That is to leave it alone with no kudzu...

Theoretically, everything "just works" under F10's hal (tongue firmly in
cheek).  You sure can install it if you want.

>> Under F9/F10, I prefer to use "smoltSendProfile -p" to get a printout
>> of the hardware. Redirect its output to a file for a permanent record.
>> YMMV, of course.
>
> Wow that is a lot of information....

Uh, huh.

> Interestingly it shows the bogomips to be 2992 on this OQO mod 2,
> whereas /proc/cpuinfo reports it as 800. The processor is a VIA C7-M
> Processor 1500MHz, so I am more apt to believe the 800 value.

Fedora (at least back to F8) does on-demand CPU throttling.  The value
from /proc/cpuinfo is likely the "idle" speed (since you probably
weren't doing much), whereas smolt's value will be the "revved up"
speed (smolt does ping the hardware).

Example: On my "idle" Opteron 1210, /proc/cpuinfo shows:

	bogomips	: 2010.37

And smoltSendProfile shows:

	BogoMIPS: 3618.68

Of course, if I do something silly like:

	find / -print

in one window and look at /proc/cpuinfo in another:

	bogomips	: 3618.68

Voila!
-                    I doubt, therefore I might be.                  -