FC11: Two Suggestions

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 3 05:20:26 UTC 2008

homburg at tips-Q.com wrote:
> 1. I don't want to start a KDE food fight. I suspect that
> it's a generational thing. In any event, I would think that
> enough interest exists in the 3.5x "branch" to reconsider
> including it on the install media. How many people are
> installing "Sugar?"

FYI, the largest deployment of Fedora (several hundreds of thousands of
new users every month), is via OLPC and they use Sugar by default. At
any rate, any free and open source without legal encumbrances can be in
Fedora even if one contributor steps up to do the work and he or she is
the only user of the software.I am pretty sure, there are atleast some
software packages in the repository where this is indeed the case.
Popularity isn't a criteria for inclusion of any software in the Fedora
repository.

If people step up to maintain parallel installable KDE 3 packages, there
is nothing to stop them from doing so.

> 2. The release notes: "This is to support gdm no longer
> allowing the root user to log in to the graphical desktop."
>
> While this is consistent with best practices and can be
> changed by editing the file in pam.d, it just seems to me
> that Fedora should not be making this decision for users.

Defaults and configuration details *are* part of distribution choices.

Rahul