Growing file system for a VMWare installation of F10

Alex silvercircle at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 16:23:37 UTC 2008

Klaus-Peter Schrage<kpschrage at gmx.de> wrote on 03.12.2008 08:54:

>> That should basically do it, right? Any things which could go wrong
>> except for the odd typo when recreating the partition?

> Ok, but as I can see, you'll end up with a new, larger /dev/sda1 and an
> empty filesystem mounted on / (aside from a new swap). How do you want to
> recover your data from your old virtual drive?

Actually, deleting a partition does not wipe it from disk. Fdisk will just
delete the entry from the partition table (well, it *should* not do
anything else to the partition, right). The /dev/sda1 is the first
partition on the virtual drive, so I can just recreate it with the same
starting and different end cylinder. Of course, no other changes must
happen to the drive while doing so.

> What I did in your situation: After growing my virtual drive with
> vmware-vdiskmanager I booted into the virtual machine with a GParted
> bootable disk. With GParted I could resize the file system on / without
> data loss.

Ok, thanks for the tip. That looks a lot easier than my own method.

—
/Alex