Update applet alert icon is MIA in F10

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Dec 7 15:19:57 UTC 2008

In F9, each time I log in and connect to my WAP, yum-updatesd-helper runs,
and after doing its thing if there are updates, the update applet shows an
alert icon in the task bar.

That alert seems to be missing now, after upgrading to F10. 'yum update'
shows that there are pending updates. When I connect, top shows
yum-updatesd-helper running and consuming CPU time for 10-15 seconds, but
when it's done there is no alert icon in the tray. If I start software
updater manually, it properly shows all the available updates. When
gpk-update-viewer assembles all the updates, and when it's processing them,
the update applet is showing the 'busy' and 'download' icons, but it never
seems to show the 'updates are available' icon.

In 'Software Update Preferences' I have both check for updates and check for
major upgrades to 'Daily', and both display notification settings enabled.