Some people mis interpret Fedora's Mission Statement.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 9 15:13:44 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Isn't that what is meant by "pressure from above"?

I don't see how having more resources alloted to something counts as
pressure from above. Let's say I prefer fluxbox or Xfce. Should I feel
pressure because more resources go into other desktop environments? I
don't think so.  I am quite comfortable with that.

> Surely the main determinant should be what users want?

Product decisions are much more complex than that. In many cases, users
just say - "I dont care about the desktop environment. Just let my ISV
apps work and give me x,y and z functionality". Going beyond just linux
specific technical mailings will give you a completely different picture.

> My strong impression from reading the newsgroups
> is that a large majority of enthusiasts are using KDE,
> despite the fact that this is not the default.

I have no idea. We cannot rely on mere impressions for making such
decisions and I know of no hard public hard data. Enthusiasm doesn't
determine how many people work on something full time. Paying customers do.

Rahul