Fedora 10 ypbind error

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Tue Dec 9 20:00:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve <rwgk at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I think you are correct, the "invalid source port" is indeed unrelated.
>
> > You're not very specific. I am guessing that NIS is not working? Can you
> nudge it into making more error
> > messages, maybe execute 'ypcat passwd'? Result of '/etc/init.d/ypbind
> status'?
>
> # /etc/init.d/ypbind start
> SIOCADDRT: File exists
> Starting NIS service:                                      [  OK  ]
> Binding NIS service: ...............                       [  OK  ]
>
> # ypcat passwd
> No such map passwd.byname. Reason: Can't bind to server which serves this
> domain
>
> The only new entry in /var/log/messages is:
>
> Dec  9 11:16:26 hostname ypbind: NIS domain: xxxedout, NIS server:

That's from the startup, indicates normal start. What is output from

# /etc/init.d/ypbind status

after the ypcat fails? Is rpcbind running (/etc/init.d/rpcbind status)?

I am running fc9, but I doubt this has changed.

Also check the logs on the server side for any unusual entry mentioning this
problem client.

HTH,
Dave

Dave