remote logins fail with DNS error on first try, 2nd succeeds

Hugh Caley hughc at aldon.com
Thu Dec 11 21:21:59 UTC 2008

Since installing F10 (clean install) my SSH and telnet logins to remote
machines often fail with a DNS error:

hughc at joss:~$ ssh xander
ssh: Could not resolve hostname xander: Name or service not known
hughc at joss:~$

However, the 2nd attempt a couple of seconds later succeeds.  No other
Linux or Unix machines here are having this problem.  There is nothing
about this in /var/log/messages, or in /var/log/secure.  It doesn't
happen all the time, either.  Not sure where to start looking for
something like this ...

I currently have NetworkManager turned off in init, and I'm using
/etc/init.d/network instead, just to see if that fixes the problem (it
doesn't).

NIS is on, but host lookups do not use NIS.  From /etc/nsswitch.conf:

> hosts:      files dns

resolv.conf:

> nameserver 172.25.9.81
> nameserver 172.25.9.7