OT: your desktop on a stick

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Fri Dec 12 17:05:52 UTC 2008

Much has been said about the ability for a linux distro to be carried around
on a usb stick, making any computer into your familiar desktop.  Does anyone
actually do this?

I ask because I installed F9 and Mandriva 2008 onto sticks for tests with my
EeePC.  Today I put the Mandriva stick into the Acer netbook, and watched the
messages scroll on, as it detected and set up the webcam, then the mouse, then
I got to
"Marking TSC unstable due to: TSC halts in idle
Time: hpet clocksource has been installed.

Then a loonng pause, after which

Wait timeout.  Will continue in the background. [FAILED}
Non-volatile memory driver v1.2

and it has been sitting there for 15 minutes.

I confess I have always wondered about such hardware changes.  If this is
typical, then this is another dream that is far from reality :-(

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I'll try the F9 stick.  I won't bother reporting
back if the result is very similar.

Anne