Wireless Printers

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Dec 15 16:35:29 UTC 2008

Wade Hampton wrote:
> I have a HP 6150 all-in-1 with wireless, USB, and wired
> capabilities.  It works well for almost all I need to do.
> Wireless photo printing is slow, however.  I have not
> tried using the FAX capabilities via wireless.
>
> PROS:
> - easy to setup
> - works well with Linux, WinXP, WinVista, etc.
> - can place the printer anywhere (centralized, in my kitchen)
> - most printing functions work well (draft, normal, photo)
>
> CONS:
> - possible security issues (it's wireless....)

HP supports WPA preshared keys with AES-CCMP. So just choose a
dictionary resistant preshared key. Even with TKIP you are fairly safe
for now. The attack against TKIP is very limited. Heck, when we designed
TKIP we put a 5 year life on it and it has already been 8 years, so
those of us with our names on 802.11i (yes, I was there), feel 'secure'
with the history of TKIP. AES is in the HP wireless that I have seen.