adjusting window sizes in Gnome

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Dec 16 01:55:37 UTC 2008

Another question re F10 on my eeepc 901:

I've got most stuff adjusted to my liking. But there are a few apps whose
default window size is > the 600 pixels of my screen. I know I can drag
the entire window around with ALT-DRAG--that works fine.

BUT,... when I've dragged the TOP of the window off the screen, so that I
can reach the bottom of the window, whenever I try to stretch the bottom,
corners, or sides of the window (while the top of the window is off the
screen), whenever I click on oneof those edges of the window instead of
being allowed to stretch it, I get the same menu I get by clicking on
the little window menu at the extreme top-left of the window bar (or
whatever the correct term is for the bar at thvery top of the window
that contains the program name and the minimize/maximize/close icons).

There must be a Gnome setting somewhere for this, but so far I haven't
found it.

This is irritating, the only way I can then resize a window to be taller
than the screen is by dragging the BOTTOM off the screen and stretching
from the top. Since I'm usually doing this because the row of buttons at
or near the bottom has been obscured, that means I then have to drag the
bottom off the screen, stretch the top, then drag the top off the screen
so I can access the bottom, rather than just enlarging it from the bottom.

Suggstions welcome.

Thanks!
                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.