What are these F-10 boot slides?

John Brier jbrier at redhat.com
Tue Dec 16 15:20:15 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> What do the 3 growing horizontal slides
> at the bottom of the F-10 boot screen represent?
>
> They are rather ugly, I think, as are the whole boot graphics.
> Looks like some child was let in the room during development.
>
> FC-8 was the nicest, I think.
> Centos logo is even better than Windows logo, IMHO.

Wait til you see the new Plymouth at its best. You have to append
vga=0x318 to kernel line in grub.conf for 1024x768 graphical boot.
Otherwise you get the text boot mode which you are seeing. This is all
explained in the release notes:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f10/en_US/What_is_New_for_Installation_and_Live_Images.html#sn-Fedora_10_boot-time

=========
#

The graphical boot splash screen that comes with Plymouth requires
kernel mode setting drivers to work best. There are not kernel
modesetting drivers available for all hardware yet. To see the
graphical splash before the drivers are generally available, add
vga=0x318 to the kernel grub command line. This uses vesafb, which
does not necessarily give the native resolution for a flat panel, and
may cause flickering or other weird interactions with X. Without
kernel modesetting drivers or vga=0x318, Plymouth uses a text-based
plugin that is plain but functional.
#