Fedora Architecture Questions

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Wed Dec 17 14:00:30 UTC 2008

On 12/09/2008 11:41 AM, Michael Peterson wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> This is my first post so please ignore the formatting. I have server questions about the Fedora 10 architecture that I will list below this message. I am need to present a brief presentation to my Operating Systems class involving various components of the OS. I have spent the past few days researching the web including multiple Fedora project websites and online databases and found nothing. If anyone is able to give me some simple answers or even relevant information or sources would be wonderful.
>
> -CPU Scheduling algorithms used by Fedora
> -Techniques used by Fedora for message passing between process/threads
> -Techniques for Shared Memory
> -Process Synchronization techniques supported by Fedora
> -Methods of dealing with deadlocks
> -What languages was used to design the OS
> -What API do application developers uses (is it posix)
> -Implementation structure (modular, layered...)

Hi Michael,
WRT previous answers. Probably the first place to start off is
www.kernel.org. This should help to get you information about your
kernel related questions. Also, as previously mentioned, the Linux
Operating System is essentially designed based on the Unix® operating
system. However, scheduling, memory management, and message passing are
different.

There are many different APIs used by application developers depending
on the language used. Linux as a system is a conglomeration of parts
coming from many different places. The Linux kernel is what was designed
by Linus who still controls its contents, although there are many
contributors. Many of the commands and utilities come from the Free
Software Foundation (GNU),  and many other products, such as Perl and
Apache come from additional communities. I think in terms of API you are
being very vague, but  Linux complies with POSIX. Linux also supports
POSIX threads, and the current threads package was actually written by
Red Hat engineers. I hope that you now have enough pointers to get the
information you need for your presentation.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix