Setting up Linksys WRT54GL for Remote Server

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 17 19:55:26 UTC 2008

Waleed Harbi wrote:
> example:
>
> http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/SSH.htm
>
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Waleed Harbi <waleed.harbi at gmail.com
> <mailto:waleed.harbi at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     You just need configure Linksys in Security tab, then forward any
>     connection via port 22 to the two boxes.
>

>     On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
>     <mailto:mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net>> wrote:
>
>         Two boxes FC8-i386 behind a Linksys WRT54GL  router, both
>         boxes have a  static IP.
>         How do I set the router to allow me to connect by port 22 ssh
>         to both boxes.
>
>         --
>

>     --
>     -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>     Yours,
>     Waleed Harbi
>     If you want your goals to come true, don't sleep.
>

> --
> Yours,
> Waleed Harbi
> If you want your goals to come true, don't sleep.
Thanks Waleed that link was very helpful.
But, below, in the part about "Port Forwarding" , Read paragraph below.

A port can only be used by one program at a time! Think of how this rule
interacts with NAT. Well you've only got one external ip address on your
router. When computer 1 is using port 500, it is using port 500 on it's
internal ip address. If you have set up a port forwarding rule for
computer 1 and port 500, the external ip address's port 500 is also in
use. This means that you can only use port 500 on one computer on the
network at a time. Using port 500 on two computers at the same time
would violate the one program rule, and your data would get messed up.
Most routers require you to specify an internal ip address to forward
ports to, just for this reason. Some do not, so be aware of this. Port
Forwarding rules will only work for one computer at a time!

This is where my problem is, I have two boxes, different IP's  (box 1)
192.168.1.253   (box  2)  192.168.1.254
both set up in router in Port Forwarding  as Port 22 and it conflicts
with the paragraph above.
How do  I get around this.

The first  IP 192.168.1.253, it allows me to  remotely login  with
correct password.
The second IP 192.168.1.254, won't let me remotely login with correct
password "Authenication for user Failed"

Does anyone know how to fix this  ?