F10 - dIsabling IPv4 addressing

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Dec 18 17:15:00 UTC 2008

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> writes:
>
>> When I save ifcfg-eth0, NetworkManager reports the network is down.
>> If I start eth0 in NetworkManager, I get IPv4 addresses.  If I use
>> ifdown to bring eth0 back down, then ifup, I don't get IPv4 addresses,
>> only my IPv6 global assignment.
>>
>> What do I have to do to get the desired behaviour?
>>

> You'll be doing yourself a favor if you ditch NetworkMangler and use
> the traditional network infrastructure.
>
>     chkconfig network on
>     chkconfig NetworkManager off

Since I also have wireless and its use is 'other testing' right now, I
did not want to completely stop NetworkManager.

Recently, on some other work on FC9 I learned about NM_CONTROLLED option
in ifcfg-ethn. By adding that line to ifcfg-eth0 for my ethernet I got
NetworkManager to take its grubby hands off eth0.

> you'll want to make sure your /etc/resolv.conf has some
> ipv6 nameservers listed.

I am running a caching name server that will have IPv4 Internet
connectivity and have v6 for the test systems, so I am 'covered'.

> Now I doubt the system is capable of running as a pure ipv6 host
> unless someone put in the effort to flush out the last few ipv4
> dependencies.  We do have ~3 decades of ipv4 dependencies wired into
> the code. There are no doubt lots of programs that were never updated
> to use ipv6 sockets.

And I think this is interfering with timings on my testing as apps are
still trying IPv4 things THEN ipv6 to be 'more effcient'.

Sigh.