PackageKit has eaten my system (again!)

DB Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 22 12:53:04 UTC 2008

> Message: 9 Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 17:03:48 -0700 From: Kevin Fenzi
> <kevin at scrye.com> Subject: Re: PackageKit has eaten my system (again!)
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com Message-ID:
> <20081221170348.42475e34 at ohm.scrye.com> Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset="us-ascii" On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 22:13:46 +0000 Anne Wilson
> <annew at kde.org> wrote:

> no. Rpm only acts on specific packages.
>

>> > If they are not installed 'yum install packagename' should pull them
>> > in - and you can list both packages in one command.
>>

> Except that he is trying to install yum.  ;)

>> > It's not apparent from the help file, but I think the command is 'rpm
>> > -q whatprovides ....' but I don't think that would have helped in
>> > this situation. I'd try
>> >
>> > yum install pygpgme python-iniparse yum
>>

> No yum installed there for him.  ;)
>
> Dave: Try the following:
>
> rpm -ivh
> http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/fedora.redhat.com/fedora/linux/updates/9/i386.newkey//yum-3.2.20-5.fc9.noarch.rpm
> http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/fedora.redhat.com/fedora/linux/releases/9/Everything/i386/os//Packages/pygpgme-0.1-8.fc9.i386.rpm
> http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/fedora.redhat.com/fedora/linux/releases/9/Everything/i386/os//Packages/python-iniparse-0.2.3-3.fc9.noarch.rpm
>
> All on one big long line.  ;)
> Not sure if there are further deps, but hopefully that will get yum installed for you.
>
> kevin

Thanks Kevin......

In the order you listed the rpms, the yum failed needing pygpgme....  So
I tried installing them t'other way around:

[root at localhost ~]# rpm -ivh
http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/fedora.redhat.com/fedora/linux/releases/9/Everything/i386/os//Packages/pygpgme-0.1-8.fc9.i386.rpm
http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/fedora.redhat.com/fedora/linux/releases/9/Everything/i386/os//Packages/python-iniparse-0.2.3-3.fc9.noarch.rpm
http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/fedora.redhat.com/fedora/linux/updates/9/i386.newkey//yum-3.2.20-5.fc9.noarch.rpm
Retrieving
http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/fedora.redhat.com/fedora/linux/releases/9/Everything/i386/os//Packages/pygpgme-0.1-8.fc9.i386.rpm
Retrieving
http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/fedora.redhat.com/fedora/linux/releases/9/Everything/i386/os//Packages/python-iniparse-0.2.3-3.fc9.noarch.rpm
Retrieving
http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/fedora.redhat.com/fedora/linux/updates/9/i386.newkey//yum-3.2.20-5.fc9.noarch.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
    libgpgme.so.11 is needed by pygpgme-0.1-8.fc9.i386
    libgpgme.so.11(GPGME_1.0) is needed by pygpgme-0.1-8.fc9.i386
[root at localhost ~]#

Any idea where the so.11 files might be??  (or how with my limited
knowledge of the remnants of my system, I should go about finding the
deps??))

Thanks again

Dave