GPU chips vs Video Cards

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 21:01:32 UTC 2008

2008/12/23 Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 2:54 AM, Dave Feustel <dfeustel at mindspring.com>
> wrote:
> > Will the use of GPU chips eliminate the need for video cards
> > and/or eliminate the security vulnerabilities that the video
> > cards introduce into operating systems?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> No. Similar to what is already on the market. You have integrated
> video on many motherboards but still have a market for high
> performance (gamers, etc.) video.

I just bought a Radeon HD 4870 yesterday. Now until the day an integrated
chip can match that, as Leo says, a market for high end graphics solutions
will always exist.

However I don't understand what you mean by security vulnerabilities
introduced by discrete video cards. Could you elaborate on that a little
more?

--
Suvayu