Why can't I select the Sun Java VM ?

Deepak Bhole dbhole at redhat.com
Mon Dec 1 02:11:58 UTC 2008

* Tom Horsley <tom.horsley at att.net> [2008-11-30 11:54]:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 09:40:34 -0500
> Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > How do I get the Sun java to be the default Java, without doing a 24
> > step build that Googling finds ?
>
> Somewhere out in the world is a package that actually adds
> the sun java to the alternatives system (the sun packages
> do not do that, which is why it doesn't show up).
>
> Where this package is located is another question. I remember
> seeing it once, but I forget where that was.
>
> http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/sun-java-on-F8.html
>
> is a page I just found with a quick google search, but it
> doesn't look like the one I'm remembering :-).

I believe you're thinking of java-*-sun-compat packages from JPackage
(mentioned on that page). The compat package depends on the RPM from
Sun, and sets up the proper alternatives. Unfortunately, they haven't
been updated for a while:

http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/jpackage/1.7/generic/non-free/RPMS/

Deepak