Firefox launcher option %u cause of "Starting Firefox Web Browser" button?

Allen Halsey allenhalsey at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 02:25:17 UTC 2008

>> Why is the %u launcher option causing this poor user experience?

> Not at all. Firefox is always slow to start, no matter what command
> line options you specify :) One thing you can do to speed up a
> little its start up is to disable all the language packs you don't
> use.  Are you using KDE or Gnome?

I'm using Gnome. If I make a copy of the firefox launcher and remove
the %u option from the command, I don't experience 15 seconds of
seeing "Starting Firefox Web Browser" button on the Windows List
applet and the busy mouse pointer.

I had thought Firefox was busy initializing, but now I find removing
the %u makes Firefox seem ready for action immediately.

The %u option is explained here:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-1.0.html#exec-variables

Why is this option causing Firefox to give the impression of having
a slow startup?