some feedback on fedora 10

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 1 09:57:31 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 17:37:34 -0800
> Russell Miller <duskglow at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 4)  KMS seems cool, but it doesn't work on my card, so it falls back to
>> a lame progress bar on the bottom of the screen.  Can we be a little
>> more informative than that?  It didn't even tell me I could press
>> escape, I had to figure that out on my own.
>
> Wait, is this the boot time "plymouth" stuff you are talking about?
> All I've ever seen on any system was a lame progress bar (3 colors,
> but still lame). I've really wondered what all the plymouth hoopla
> was about. It can sometimes do more than a progress bar? (Not that
> I care much, one of the first things I always do is remove the rhgb
> option so I can actually see information on the screen if something
> goes wrong).

Read the release notes. You can use vga=ask or vga=0x380 for any system
to get a framebuffer based progress bar. Removing rhgb is unnecessary
since it automatically shows any errors if and when it happens. For more
details on Plymouth, refer

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora_plymouth&num=1
(video included)
http://fedoramagazine.wordpress.com/2008/10/21/interview-fedora-10s-better-startup/