Evolution and F10 [Evo is S L O W]

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 22:16:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 13:08 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 10:24 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > The version of Evo in F10 is 2.24, which has some changes to the
> > indexing machinery (it now uses an SQL database), and there are still
> > some kinks with virtual folders (e.g. the unread message count is often
> > wrong). Since Unread is a vfolder, this might be what you're seeing.
>
> Could this be part of the reason why evolution is now so S L O W?  It
> has taken up to 5 minutes to search out the messages containing "Fedora"
> in my Junk folder, which at the time contained about 15 messages.  Other
> functions are also very slow -- often accompanied by the message
> "Generating message list (...)".  All my folders are local though large:
> about 1.5 Gbytes.

I don't see slowness. Quite the contrary in fact, as the new code is
faster at searching than the old. I could live with some initial
slowness as Evo re-indexed a large message store, but I would expect
that to be a once-only thing on first startup. Note that I'm not an Evo
devel, I'm just guessing here.

If the slowness persists, I would suggest 1) emptying trash and then 2)
removing index files to force Evo to rebuild them.

poc