KDE in F10

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 03:04:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 8:48 PM, lanas <lanas at securenet.net> wrote:
> I haven't looked really at Vista but saw briefly a screen here and
> there.  ... Is KDE in F10 trying to look like the Vista user interface
> by any chance ?

Not intentionally. KDE supports themes (as you may know) many Vista
like themes for KDE existed before Vista.

However, there are some good and bad things which KDE and Vista share
in terms of interface, there is no reason to believe that this
intentional. And if you have an arguement against a UI feature which
you feel is in the wrong, I believe you can find an listening
audience.

The fact that it seems that KDE looks like Vista is more a symptom
with many people greater familiarity with Microsoft Windows than with
KDE. Also, it is somewhat incorrect to say that KDE has a look at it
can really look like anything you want it to. For example, I am not
sure that KDE in Fedora looks like KDE if you compiled for vanilla
sources. At least in KDE 3.5 it didn't.

> On a related subject, is 'the cube' ('twas called Beryl last time I
> tried) available on F10 and does it now supports all faces of a cube
> eg. 6 desktops ?

This is (now?) accomplished through Compiz, and is very much available
in Fedora. it however works much better with Gnome than KDE. I do
believe is supports as many desktops as there are faces on a cube, so
I would say yes. I am subject to correction here. KDE 4 does not
attempt to work with Compiz, but instead extending its own
capabilities to provide this features naively.

> Cheers.
Peace

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin