Nvidia Quadro FX 3700M and Fedora 10

Kevin Kempter kevin at kevinkempterllc.com
Tue Dec 2 07:34:24 UTC 2008

On Monday 01 December 2008 22:28:33 Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Kevin Kempter <kevin at kevinkempterllc.com>
wrote:
> > Hi All;
> >
> > I've installed Fedora 10 on a new laptop with an Nvidia Quadro FX 3700M
> > graphics card.  The card will do 1920x1200 resolution however the
> > kmod-nvidia driver from rpmfusion doesnt work properly (at least I
> > suspect the kmod-nvidia driver to be the issue - however I could be
> > wrong)
> >
> > Once installed all the queries I can run such as xrand and
> > nvidia-settings specify that I'm running at 1920x1200 however I know
> > that's not true - I recently had CentOS installed and it (without the
> > kmod-nvidia driver) gave me true 1920x1200 and the difference is huge.
> >
> > So, my hunch is that I'm slightly ahead of the curve per hardware and
> > soon enough a driver that works with my video card will come along.
> > Meanwhile I've poked around at the nvidia site for linux drivers and I
> > find that there is support for the FX 3700, but not the FX 3700M.
> >
> > Does anyone know what the difference might be between the FX 3700 and the
> > FX 3700 M (Mobile)? I wonder if it would be wise to download and install
> > the FX 3700 driver and see if it works ?
>
> 177.82 should work fine.
>

> --
> L. Friedman                                    netllama at gmail.com
> LlamaLand                       https://netllama.linux-sxs.org

I installed the FX 3700 driver (177.82)  and I now have a true 1920x1200
desktop - it looks great !

However now I lost all my GL screensavers (none of 'em work) and no desktop
effects.  Here's the new xorg.conf (below).

Anyone have any thoughts ?

Note: I tried changing "vesa" in the Device section to "nvidia" and I get the
old resolution again.

Thanks in advance...

# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"