root login

Nick np121 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 2 12:39:31 UTC 2008

Hi All

With F10 if I use DHCP to assign my IP address everything goes OK

I get an IP address and a subnet mask and I get access to the interent

If I try to statically assign the IP address

Example 192.168.1.118 255.255.255.240 (please don't complain about the range
it's only an example because I don't want to give out my public IP for this
server)

The network configuration takes it but when I reopen it I see it has changed
my subnet mask to 192.168.1.113

Also I am not getting onto the internet

Ifconfig shows eth0 as 192.168.1.118 255.255.255.255

Bcast 192.168.1.118

It also shows an IPv6 address even though I haven't enabled IPv6

What is going wrong

I need to statically assign the IP address as this will use a public IP
address

Many thanks