B&W Awstats Reports

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 2 13:53:06 UTC 2008

Tim:
>> How did you install it?

elk dolk:
> I installed awstats-6.8-1.noarch.rpm that I downloaded from
> Awstats.sourceforge.net

Is there some reason that you don't want to install the version that's
already available from one of the repos?  Doing so sets it up so that it
works without the pain that you're going through.

>> /etc/httpd/conf.d/awstats.conf

> it doesn’t exist!

That's half your problem, then.  The output from it is usually read
through a web server.  You browse to its script, and feed it parameters
to show you certain results.  And to do that, the web server needs
configuration for using awstats.

I dare say that you could get results, directly, but there's some useful
flexibility you get when you can interact with it through the web
browser.

> Please note that I get the Log files from my ISP and process them
> locally in my Linux PC. That is why I don’t use Apache server in my PC
> but, it seems that first I have to setup Apache serve.

I don't know if you have to, but that's the only way I've used it.  I
used to download logs from my webserver, and parse them locally with
webalizer, but I did use my own local webserver for displaying the
results.

Generally speaking, it's a very good idea to have a local webserver when
you're working with websites.  You can test things before making them
public.

> This is my awstats.MyDomain.conf :
>
> SiteDomain="www.MyDomain.com"

You'd change that to match your real domain name, then the program
should be able to do the tricks that it does to produce stats in a
controlled manner.  Likewise with HostAliases parameters.

> NotPageList="css js class gif jpg jpeg png bmp ico rss xml swf"

Add anything to that list that you don't want counted as being a "page".

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.5-41.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.