Why can't I select the Sun Java VM ?

Ron Hunter-Duvar ron.hunter-duvar at oracle.com
Tue Dec 2 19:40:47 UTC 2008

Linuxguy123 wrote:

> # alternatives --config java
> How do I get the Sun java to be the default Java, without doing a 24
> step build that Googling finds ?

Here is the command I came up with to add Sun's Java 1.5.0_16 as an
alternative on Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.0 (a Red Hat derivative, which I
guess makes it a cousin of Fedora 8^), based on the alternatives man page
and some Googling:

# alternatives \
  --install /usr/bin/java            java
/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_16/bin/java 1500 \
  --slave   /usr/lib/jvm/jre         jre         /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_16/jre/
\
  --slave   /usr/lib/jvm-exports/jre jre_exports
/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_16/jre/lib/ \
  --slave   /usr/bin/rmiregistry     rmiregistry
/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_16/jre/bin/rmiregistry

Make appropriate adjustments for your particular version of Java. Then if
you rerun

# alternatives --config java

it should provide you with the alternative you want. Select it and you
should be all set.