Preupgrade F9->F10 Now No Network Connectivity

Curt Stauffer cgstauffer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 21:46:52 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Claude Jones
<cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 December 2008 14:15:18 Curt Stauffer wrote:
>> Switching to DHCP made no difference, although I did notice that the
>> DHCP negotiaton must have happened because I saw reasonable-looking IP
>> numbers for the workstation and gateway.
>>
>> I feel like I'm missing something really obvious here, can someone
>> give me some suggestions of things to try or things to look for?
>> Could firewall be a problem?
>
> Can you ping your gateway?
> What have you actually tried to determine you have no network connectivity?
> If you got a legitimate address from DHCP, it certainly looks like you're
> connected -- unless you've installed some firewall package such as Fwbuilder
> that can impose restrictions on outbound traffic depending how you set it up,
> yours is not likely to be a firewall problem - the fact that you got a
> legitimate address from DHCP sort of kills the firewall theory.
> Run the following:
> ping 206.190.60.37
> What do you get?

OK, I admit it - I messed up.  At first when I decided to switch to
DHCP I also switched NM on (it was disabled since I was originally
using a static address).  When I did this I *think* that I got a valid
ip and gateway.  I've now switched back to s-c-network but with DHCP -
rebooted and eth0 won't come up (DHCP failed).

One other data point - I rebooted with Kubuntu Live and no problems
with network at all.

-Curt